“Because I will recklessly abandon all insecurities and expose my true self to the world. I will become immune to the impact of your opinion and stand naked in a crowd of ideas; comfortable in knowing that while you married the mundane I explored the exceptional.”
Raymmar Tirado: 7 Reasons You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life
Standing Naked in A Crowd
Highlight any text in this article to tweet it directly.
Do you know what it feels like to stand naked in a crowd of your peers? Not literally, but emotionally.
To let your closest friends know how you feel about them. To tell the people you love how much they mean to you. To publicly expose a personal weakness. To make yourself vulnerable in a way that seems so out of style in the world we live in.
It’s kind of hard to do, so most people don’t. And I get it.
Because the world is hard. Because the world judges us. And because we care about how that makes us feel.
Because we all walk around worried about the clothes we wear, how they make us look, and how our friends think of us when they see us wearing them; but we rarely think about the other layer we often wear…
The cloak of perceived perfection.
The shield we wear to protect ourselves from rejection.
Because what worse a feeling is there than exposing yourself and being rejected. Than to say I love you and not hear it back. Than speaking your mind and getting laughed at.
So instead we stay silent.
We don’t speak up. We don’t act out. And we don’t ever relinquish the grip of self doubt.
Instead we hold on to it and learn how to love the silence. We pretend to comport because that is what is expected of us. Because that is how the world works.
Why can’t we do something different?
Why can’t we be bold in our boldness, and why can’t we reject those who reject us. Rebuke those who would judge you. And dismiss those who would try to control us.
Why not stand up and tell them exactly how we feel…
Why not tell them that we will NOT let them control the shape of our society.
Why not be loud in your insistence and show the world that you and I CAN live together peacefully. And that even without the approval of the status quo, we will find a way to live together freely.
If you liked this post, please share it with a friend. It is the best compliment you could ever give me.
Share this entry
- 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your...January 15, 2014 - 8:23 am
- Robin Williams Dead: Why I Don’t Care And Neither...August 12, 2014 - 3:11 am
- Why People Who Think Capitalism Sucks Are Just Plain St...April 24, 2013 - 9:13 am
- The Intolerance Of The “Tolerant”. My Take On...April 4, 2013 - 7:41 pm
- Anon, that all makes sense in your world I'm sure. But in...December 27, 2016 - 10:36 am by Raymmar Tirado
- My gut reaction to this article is that there is something...December 27, 2016 - 8:41 am by Anon
- > Hitler was a communist If you're this historically...December 15, 2016 - 6:16 pm by Chelsea G. M.
- Loved this comment, really thoughtful and honest attempt...December 13, 2016 - 10:02 pm by Mr Scallywag