Learn how to install and configure a custom theme, install plugins, build pages, create menus, and more importantly, make your first blog post. This is the first in a series of videos we will create over the next few months focused on helping you get the most out of WordPress; the world’s most popular content management system.
What we will cover in this class
- Starting from a clean WordPress Install
- Installing and configuring a theme
- Installing and configuring plugins
- Creating pages and menu structures
- Setting up a blog and creating your first post
- Misc other components of navigating and configuring a basic WordPress website
What we will not cover
Picking a host – There are recommendations for hosts below, and a ton of research online. Please do your homework and have your host picked out before coming to class as we will not be spending time on hosting or inside of the cPanel
Buying a domain name – please have a domain name picked out and purchased before coming to the class. Most hosting companies will allow you to register a domain name, and many of them include the domain name in the cost of your first year of hosting.
Basic web knowledge – This class is geared towards beginners, but this is not a Web 101 class. You will be expected to understand basic web terminology and be able to keep up with class instructions. We will be recording this live, so the class will move fairly quickly once we get started.
We will be taking questions and trying to give as much individual support as possible, but in order to make sure that everyone gets the most out of these classes, I have prepared a list of things you should have lined up before the class if you plan on following along.
What you will need for this project
- A laptop or computer that you can bring to the class with you in order to follow along.
- A self hosted version of WordPress (You can pick the hosting company of your choice but here are a few I recommend)
- Blue Host – Bare bones shared hosting – $3.95 a month
- Lightning Base – Entry level WordPress hosting – $10 a month
- Media Temple – Middle of the road, specialized WordPress configurations – $20 a month
- WP Engine – Best in class WordPress hosting – $99 a month
- A versatile theme that is stable and easy to use (We will be using the Enfold theme.
Most hosts provide a one click WordPress install so this should be pretty simple and is something you should have done before starting this project if you plan on following along. (All of the hosts listed above provide one click installs for WordPress)
The point of this class is to help you get a simple WordPress website up and running on your own with very little out of pocket expense. However, this class is not designed to give you everything you need to build a finished website. Building out your website will take time, and will require you to learn on your own and search for answers to specific solutions as they come up.
There will be more videos like this in the future, so be sure to subscribe below to keep up with all of our different projects as we work to empower creative entrepreneurs all across the world.
- The Choice We Face [video]April 20, 2017 - 1:41 pm
- You Disgust MeMarch 29, 2017 - 11:32 am
- Start Here – Everything you need to know about Raymmar.comApril 17, 2016 - 8:51 pm
- How Writing Changed My Life And Why You Should Start A BlogMarch 15, 2016 - 12:02 am
- Raymmar & Chill – Lots of New Videos!February 29, 2016 - 1:14 am